Preparation time: 35 minutes · Gluten-free · Serves 2
The healthier and lighter variant of the traditional tuna melt recipe are these Tuna Melt Zucchini Boats. They are a delectable low-carb meal that is ideal for a brunch or light lunch.
- 1 5oz Can Tuna
- 1 Stalk Celery
- 1 Corn
- 2 tbsp Dill
- 1 Green onions
- 1 Jalapeno
- 1 Red chili peppers
- 1/2 Red onion, small
- 1 Tomatoes
- 1 Zucchini, Large
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp Lemon juice, Fresh
Baking & spices
- 1 Kosher salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup Cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup Greek yogurt, Plain
The ingredients you need to make a tuna melt are as follows:
- Tuna: You can use canned tuna. In water or oil. But I prefer using white albacore in water.
- Zucchini: One zucchini will be sliced in half. You may use either the green or the yellow zucchini.
- Celery: For those who don’t like celery, you can skip it, but it brings out the unique flavor of the tuna melt.
- Onion: I used red onion, but if you don’t have this handy, you can use sweet or cooking onions.
- Greek Yogurt: This is used in place of the mayonnaise. Other options could be hummus or avocado.
- Cheese: Any cheese of choice will work, but I prefer using wither mozzarella or cheddar.
- Herbs and condiments: some additional herbs and condiments that can be used are mustard, dill, salt and pepper, garlic, and parsley.
- Toppings: Green onions, corn, jalapeno, and chopped tomatoes.
A traditional tuna melt sandwich is really easy to make. However, since they are considerably healthier, creating this recipe is even better and more satisfying.
Slice the zucchini in half lengthwise, then scoop out the interior while the oven is preheating to 350 degrees. The interiors can be saved and made with eggs or used to your subsequent veggie soup!
After that, add the zucchini to the baking pan that has been prepared and spray with cooking oil. Place on the middle oven rack, season with salt and pepper to taste, and bake for 12 to 15 minutes, or until just soft.
Tuna, celery, red onion, yogurt, dill, mustard, lemon juice, and jalapeo are all added to a mixing bowl. Mix thoroughly, then taste and add salt and pepper as desired.
Fill the zucchini boats with the tuna mixture once it is prepared, and then top with cheddar. For a further 10 minutes, or until the cheese is melted, bake the dish in the preheated oven. Add whatever other toppings you choose, then enjoy!