Explore a quick and healthy twist by using a zesty, low-fat pesto instead of traditional frying oil for your eggs. This not only enhances the dish with rich flavor but also creates a flawless brunch or lunch option.
- 2-4 thin slices rye sourdough (about 70g total, depending on the size of the loaf)
- 2 eggs
- 170g tomatoes on-the-vine
- 160g baby spinach
- pinch of chilli flakes (optional)
For the pesto
- 1 garlic clove
- 10g basil
- 1 tbsp pine nuts/ almond/ walnut
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp finely grated parmesan or vegetarian alternative
- STEP 1 To make the pesto, peel the garlic clove and put in a small food processor along with the basil, pine nuts, oil and 2 tbsp water. Blitz until smooth, then stir in the cheese. Or, blitz using a hand blender.
- STEP 2 Toast the bread and divide between two plates. Cook the pesto in a frying pan over a medium heat for 30 seconds, stirring. Crack the eggs into one side of the pan, put the tomatoes in the other, and fry in the pesto until the eggs are cooked to your liking.
- STEP 3 Lift out the eggs and put each one on a slice of toast. Add the spinach to the pan with the tomatoes, turn the heat up to high and cook until wilted, about 2-3 mins. The tomatoes should be soft. Spoon the veg onto the other toast slice and sprinkle with the chilli flakes, if you like.
SOURCE: BBC GOOD FOOD